We got caught out recently by significantly high usage of AWS CloudWatch, and realised we’d been spending $1000/month more than expected. After tracking down the cause (one of the team had turned on detailed instance monitoring) – I wanted to ensure we had a bit more of a heads up next time. We had budgets set for all the major services, but not the ‘small’/insigificiant ones.
The really simple (and in hindsight, obvious!) solution was just to create a ‘catch all’ budget for all the services we didn’t have a seperate budget for, even if we’re not currently using them:
I’d probably move this to terraform next, but this works well for us so far.